At the present, Phuc Duyen Import Export Trading company Ltd is packing Dragon fruit according to closed process to ensure food safety for consumers. This process was certificated by APHIS organization, as following:
1. Receiving of produce & Unloading at Packing house facility:
- Quality supervisor permits unloading of produce ( fruit ) from the orchard registered with the packing house facility, record the fruit temperature, record both tare weight of crates and net weight of fruits of each crate of fruits.
- Quality supervisor ensures staking the produce received at the facility, orchard-wise, identifiable by a production unit code number to maitain tracability and to avoid admixing of the produce; record the detail of the produce received in a produce logbook maintain at packing house facility.
2. Pre-processing Inspection & Sorting and Storage:
- At Sorting area, the trained worker wearing gloves sort out the oversizews and undersized fruits, immature/crarred/blemished, fruits, diseased/insect damaged fruits under the supervision of quality supervisor.
- At the beginning of inspection, all of crates of fruit are suitable labled/marked providing information on Name of orchard, Location, Production Unit Code Number, Product/Variety, Date of Havesting and fruit received are from programme orchard registered with packing house facility. If they are not from programme orchard, he will refuse processing at the facility and will distinctly mark them “ not for export to USA “ and stock them in out of specification fruits separately to prevent commingling in the pre-processing inspection. And then, the quality supervisor records the quantity of lot to reject in the logbook to maintain at packing house facility.
- The crates with sound and healthy fruits are stacked in pre-processing storage area under fanning condition until moved for processing.
3. Post-Havest Processing of Fruit:
The fruit have segregated and entry to the post-harvest processing area is controlled. All workers before entering the process area undergo washing and wear uniform, clear disposable aprons/gowns, caps and gloves. The provess of cleaning, washing and granding at the packing house with stainless steel tanks and tables is carried out through trained workers under the supervision of process supervisor.
- Cleaning & washing of fruits: is done at the cleaning and washing area with clean fresh water and smooth soft brushes in stainless steel tanks under the supervision of process supervisor.
After cleaning & washing, the fruit are put on the trays and passed through drying area still the moisture on the surface of fruit gets eveporated. The, the fruit are transferred to the cutting stalks and wrapping area.
The stalks of Dragon fruit are cut carefully from 0.5 to 1.0cm by trained workers wearing gloves using a scissor with sharp long nose to avoid causing skin injury.
After cutting stalks, fruits will e moved to tables for wrapping. The fruits are put in white polybag separately; During the wrapping, trained workers ckeck again to reject the immature/crarred/blemished fruit, diseases/insect damaged fruits if they find out under the close supervision of quality supervisor. The reject fruits are kept in crates are moved at the end of working area and are distinctly labled for disposal. The wrapped Dragon fruit on trays will be moved to Grading and Packing area.
The entrance door of cutting stalks and wrapping area is covered by air curtains, plastic curtain, all ventilation in room get insect screen, receiving fruits door from drying area is covered doubles curtain, insect trap light is placed in this room to trap all insects.
At the Granding tables, the fruit are separated according to the size by weight by trained workers un der supervision of quality of supervisor, count 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 in 10kg/box or count 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 in 4kg/box.
Packaging and Labeling: Dragon fruit are packed into 4kg/box or 10kg/box, the boxes are separated by paper bars to prevent injury. All the holes ( ventilator openning of the carton are covered with insect-proof screen. “ Treated with Radiation” and international RADURA symbol must be printed on all of boxes. All sides of package are then sealed with adhesive tape to prevent entry of target quarantine pests. The cartons are marked by Production Unit Code ( PUC), Packing house code ( PHC ), Date of Packing house and Lot Number.
The processing supervisor at the end of packaging will be make complete inventory of processing in the logbook detailing the information on the quality of fruit, numbr of fruit crates, trays received for processing; date/time of processing, quantity/number of cartons packed & rejected quantity of fruits for packing.
4. Loading, Sealing, transportation & shipment by air and sea:
- The packages of processed dragon fruits are loaded into a closed conveyeance at the loading area of packing house and transported to the irradiation facility for treatment to meet the specific phytosanitary requirements of USA ( APHIS). The loading area is provided with secured docking seal to prevent insect against entry into the facility.
- At the completion of loading at the packing house, the doors of vehicle is closed and locked and suitable seal is affixed to ensure the integrity of processed consignment, and then is transported to irradiation treatment facility.
5. Pest exclusion, Fruit fly trapping, Handling out of Specification and Disposal of Rejected fruits.
- All of the doors and the windows are covered by plastic curtain, all ventilation in manufacturing place get insect screen. Insect trap light is placed in this room to trap all insect.
- Reject the fruit with bad quality and segregate, transfer out of packing house and move to the orchard to prevent the re-entry and disposal them.
6. Faccility Cleaning & Personal hygiene:
- All the floor areas are wrept, cleaned and distinfected at the end of each working shift. The toiltes/wash basins are cleaned and distinfected daily and separate for each sex of workers
- All packing lines/production surface and equipment, crates/trays, nosed scissors,… are cleaned, washed and distinfected with sanitizer before staring of run of program fruits and at the end of each shift.
- All fruit waste, packing material and rubbish are collected and moved to waste bins and moved daily.
- The wall surfaces, doors and window frames are dedusted and cleaned at weekly intervals.
- Personal Hygiene: Everybody working at packing house facility will maintain a high degree of personal cleanliness. Before entering the closed process area, they have to undergo washing, wear uniform or aprons, caps or hairnet and gloves. The finger nails are kept short, trimmed and clean, wear clean boot.
- The workers are not allowed carring foods into packing house facility, no smoking and no wearing of jewellary also. They must clean their hand using liquid soap and drying of hands with paper towels after using of toilet.
- The pack house personnel will be trained in desapping process; cleaning & washinf, sorting & grading; packing & labeling/marking; palletization & management cool storage facilities; and hygienic practices, while handling fruits at the time of processing at the pack house facility.
7. Management of Document and Record, customer feedback, Auditing and Review:
- The packing house will maintain all of records related to processing viz., record of pre-havest orchard survey and field inspection, record of operation procedure for a each period of one year and make available for inspection by regulatory officials and they are maintained up to the end of each fruit season.
- The facility will development and maintain an appropriate customer feedback and this action taken for ensuring the supply of quality fruits for export.